Mani Ratnam is a renowned Indian film director, screenwriter, and producer known for his work in Tamil and Hindi cinema. He has won several awards for his films, including six National Film Awards and numerous Filmfare Awards. Here are 10 of the best movies directed by Mani Ratnam:
1. Nayakan (1987) - A critically acclaimed Tamil-language crime-drama film based on the life of Mumbai's underworld don Varadarajan Mudaliar. The film is widely considered one of the greatest Indian films of all time.
2. Roja (1992) - A Tamil-Hindi bilingual romantic thriller film that tells the story of a woman whose husband is kidnapped by terrorists. The film won three National Film Awards and became India's official entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards.
3. Thalapathi (1991) - A Tamil-language crime-drama film loosely based on the epic Mahabharata. The film features Rajinikanth and Mammootty in the lead roles.
4. Dil Se (1998) - A Hindi-language romantic thriller film that tells the story of a radio journalist who falls in love with a mysterious woman on a train. The film won two National Film Awards and was India's official entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards.
5. Bombay (1995) - A Tamil-Hindi bilingual romantic drama film that tells the story of a Hindu-Muslim couple caught in the 1992 riots in Bombay. The film won several awards, including two National Film Awards.
6. Kannathil Muthamittal (2002) - This war-drama film was critically acclaimed and won several awards, including the National Film Award for Best Tamil Film.
7. Yuva (2004) - This political-drama film, starring Ajay Devgn, Abhishek Bachchan, and Vivek Oberoi, was highly successful and won several awards.
8. OK Kanmani (2015) - This romantic-drama film, starring Dulquer Salmaan and Nithya Menen, was highly successful and won several awards.
9. Kaatrin Mozhi (2018) - This comedy-drama film, starring Jyothika, was a remake of the Hindi film Tumhari Sulu and was highly successful.
10. Aaytha Ezhuthu (2004) - This political-drama film, starring Suriya, Madhavan, and Siddharth, was a critical and commercial success and won several awards.