Varanasi, also known as Kashi or Benaras, is a city in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is considered one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world and a significant pilgrimage destination for Hindus. Here are some of the best tourist places in Varanasi:
1. Kashi Vishwanath Temple: This ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is one of the most popular and significant pilgrimage sites for Hindus. It is known for its beautiful architecture and spiritual significance.
2. Dashashwamedh Ghat: It is one of the most famous and oldest ghats in Varanasi, located on the banks of the River Ganges. It is known for its beautiful evening Aarti ceremony and boat rides on the Ganges.
3. Sarnath: Located just a few kilometers away from Varanasi, Sarnath is an important Buddhist pilgrimage site. It is where Lord Buddha delivered his first sermon after attaining enlightenment. The site has many ancient temples and stupas.
4. Manikarnika Ghat: It is one of the oldest and most sacred ghats in Varanasi. It is considered to be the holiest place for Hindus to perform funeral rites.
5. Ramnagar Fort: This beautiful fort is located on the opposite bank of the River Ganges and is known for its stunning architecture and museum, which houses an impressive collection of vintage cars, weapons, and antique clocks.
6. Assi Ghat: This is one of the most popular ghats in Varanasi, known for its beautiful views of the River Ganges and the Shivalik ranges. It is also famous for its morning boat rides and yoga classes.
7. Banaras Hindu University: Founded in 1916, this famous university is known for its beautiful campus and its contribution to the fields of education, science, and literature. It has a museum that showcases a rich collection of ancient artifacts and manuscripts.
8. Tulsi Manas Temple: This temple is dedicated to Lord Rama and is famous for its beautiful murals and exquisite architecture. The walls of the temple are inscribed with verses from the Ramcharitmanas, the epic poem written by Tulsidas.