Uttarakhand, located in the northern part of India, offers several beautiful destinations to visit in December. While some areas may experience cold weather and snowfall during this time, it also adds to the charm of the region. Here are some places to visit in Uttarakhand in December:
1. Mussoorie: Known as the "Queen of the Hills," Mussoorie offers stunning views of the Himalayan peaks. You can explore attractions like Mall Road, Kempty Falls, Lal Tibba, and Gun Hill. The winter scenery here is mesmerizing.
2. Nainital: This picturesque hill station is famous for its serene lakes, including the popular Naini Lake. Enjoy boating, visit Nainital Zoo, take a ropeway ride to Snow View Point, and explore nearby places like Bhimtal and Sattal.
3. Auli: If you enjoy skiing or want to try it out, Auli is a great destination. It offers breathtaking views of snow-covered mountains and has ski slopes suitable for beginners as well as experienced skiers. Auli also has a ropeway ride that offers panoramic vistas.
4. Rishikesh: Known as the "Yoga Capital of the World," Rishikesh is a spiritual and adventure hub. You can visit temples, attend yoga and meditation sessions, enjoy river rafting in the Ganges, and explore the serene surroundings.
5. Dehradun: The capital city of Uttarakhand, Dehradun, offers a mix of natural beauty and urban attractions. Visit Robber's Cave, Tapkeshwar Temple, Malsi Deer Park, and explore the vibrant streets and markets.
6. Jim Corbett National Park: Although December is not the ideal time for wildlife sightings, Jim Corbett National Park still offers a chance to explore the rich flora and fauna. Enjoy jungle safaris, bird watching, and nature walks in this famous tiger reserve.
7. Chopta: Nestled in the lap of the Himalayas, Chopta is a beautiful destination known as the "Mini Switzerland of Uttarakhand." Enjoy scenic trekking trails, visit Tungnath Temple (the highest Shiva temple in the world), and soak in the tranquility of the surrounding forests.
Please note that weather conditions in December can vary, and it's advisable to check the current situation and road conditions before planning your trip.